Singaporeans grew up thinking that white rice and other forms of carbohydrates are the authentic core staple food of the proper Chinese person. Thus, those who are diabetic got diabetes, those who are not born with six pack abs that cannot do sit ups, have grown a saggy ponch inside their white collar shirt.
Most of the time I will queue at a stall selling the kind of food I want, and they usually have little to no patrons. After I got my food, I notice four or more people suddenly queuing behind me. I think it must be the way they think that if they eat the same food as me, they will get a He-man figure just like me. Well, obviously I spend almost as much time people spend in the office, in the gym, or training Kung Fu.
- It seems like they were stressed out and gave up when the hawker told them, Yao Bai Fan Ma 要白饭吗 (Want white rice or not)? They did not want to be seen as a rebellious Westernized boy and obediently took the white rice. That made my day as I know they will never be like me, not just for one reason but for several: they do not exercise, they still eat white rice, their minds are not strong enough to reject social norms.
- They cannot pull off Chap Chai Png Mai Png, like me. I will simply dump the rice into a ziplock bag and use the rice as fertilizer for the plants. My diet is the warrior's diet. Warriors are from the upper class and they have to eat quality food and not empty carbs which have close to no nutrients other than carbohydrates. You are what you eat.
- The hawkers also have a protocol of giving less meat and less vegetables if you do not take the rice. They also give less meat and vegetables to people who are big size or muscular. I got a way around that, which is to get my thin/small sized friends to order food for me; I end up with hearty portions. Perhaps they find that a bowl of white rice on the plate is like pink IC, you pay subsidied rates while foreigners pay more.
- They could also possibly feel that if they starve the fat people and muscular people and stuff the thin people and small people, they will be able to create a society where everyone are of equal size, which in turn creates fairness and happiness for society. Well, that is absolutely nonsense, as our build depends on our genetics and physical activity, and how much food we should get depends on how much money we are paying, so these hawkers have displayed dishonor in front of the international society.
- I eat at hawker centers and food courts, with a very strict and ruthless filtering of unhealthy social norm choices. I give up even brown rice. I eat a combination of Chinese bigu and modern ketogenic diet, meaning low carbohydrates, high protein and moderate fat, using fat as an energy source. Whenever possible, I cook my own meals.
Many Kung Fu practitioners tell me 'they love their food', and they do their forms with a ponch, like a Choy Li Fut panda, a Hung Gar panda. Either that or they have natural six pack that can't crunch. Very smooth, very flowy, like they say their shoulder joints don't even lift. People who love their sugar rush and rice starch, should retire to the stands and call themselves 'fans of Kung Fu', instead of 'Kung Fu Fighters'. It's obvious that a system full of big belly people and bamboo thin people will not be able to survive in the world of fighting with a system full of muscular people.
If you wish to find out how to eat cleanly while giving yourself enough nutrition to grow strong, follow my Instagram page, I have several good examples. Some are to my own tastes though, like I favor China food and India food, both of which are unacceptable to most local Chinese. I will also give some cooking tips, how to make it taste good without adding in starch or sugar or too much salt.